Friday, April 23, 2010

We Hate Ohio!

If we thought we didn't like Delaware, we hated Ohio! The drivers seemed worse than normal, the roads were awful, EVERYTHING seemed to be closed, people seemed stupid...even a lady who moved in from New York (upstate) said people were mentally slower in Ohio than anywhere else she'd been.

So we went, saw a few covered bridges and then got the heck out of Ohio!

I love covered bridges...for some reason
Last night we stayed at a bed and breakfast in Geneva-On-The-Lake, OH. It's on Lake Erie, and it's completely a summer town. We barely found something for dinner because NOTHING was open. My stomach had been hurting all day, so Mexican wasn't my first choice, but it didn't seem to help, nor worsen my pains, although I wasn't able to finish my enchiladas, which weren't all that good anyway, and I left my leftovers in the fridge at the b&b. Oops. We actually got back from dinner and went right to bed...at 6:30. We were EXHAUSTED! And we only woke up for about an hour for a snack and something to drink. We didn't get up again until 8:30 this morning.

Today we went to the zoo in Akron, OH (on the way out of dodge). It was a small zoo, but it was neat for $6. My favorite was the trumpeter swan. Anyone read The Trumpet of the Swan when you were younger? I LOVED that book, and I've never seen one in real life. It was pretty neat.


They also had penguins and lions and tigers and bears (oh my!), and flamingos and all sorts of stuff. It was a neat hour and a half.

From there, we headed south toward West Virginia, stopping only three times: one to use the bathroom, once to eat dinner and once in an attempt to find dinner which landed us at a "Cafe" that looked more like a dive bar without windows and which we had to drive through the most redneck white trash neighborhood I've ever seen to get to! Stupid "2vi" !!!! Although we did see a guy stuck on the side of the residential road with only three tires...he was kind of half in a ditch and his tire knocked a mailbox over and ripped a gutter off a garage in its wake. Yea, we got the heck out of there!

We ended up eating in Marietta, OH, just before the state line with West Virginia. And it was a good thing we did because there was almost nothing between there and Charleston and we were going to starve. But the restaurant "2vi" found us was no longer in business (surprise, surprise), so we ended up walking through this downtown area that was more or less dead (and it turned out to be a college town!) until we found, at the end of the block we'd determined to turn back after, a little place called "The Galley," where I got a salad, which I hoped wouldn't further upset my stomach and Jim got a rueben sandwich. Add a soda and an appetizer and we got out of there under $25. And it was nice and clean and tasted good. The artichoke spinach dip was some of the best I've ever had.

Now we're sitting in our Holiday Inn Express. Jim's playing his PSP and I'm writing and trying to organize all my photos. We ate early, so we don't have to worry about that. When we got here, they had sausage gumbo in the breakfast area, so Jim had some of that. We've got America's Funniest Videos on in the background (it's not very effective. You kind of have to watch to get the humor) and we're probably going to bed soon.

Tomorrow we're heading through Kentucky and up toward Indianapolis. I'm not 100% sure what our path of travel is...We should probably work on that....

No comments:

Post a Comment